Proverbs 3:5-6; Various
What song was written based on the words of a missionary who tearfully shared with a friend his health concerns? Let’s investigate a little deeper!
Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he shall make your paths straight.” God’s promise to make our paths straight as we trust in Him is a sure commitment that He will lead us in every circumstance, even the most stressful in life. There are several ways that He leads:
1. God Leads Through his Word: Psalm 119:105: “Oh that my ways may be established to keep Your statutes!” God’s will never contradicts His Word.
2. God Leads Through His People: I, like many men, don’t like to stop and ask for directions. But Proverbs 19:20 says, “Listen to counsel and accept discipline, that you may be wise the rest of your days.” God guides us through mature, Christian counsel.
3. God Leads Through His Wisdom: How do we get God’s wisdom? It’s simple! “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him”(James. 1:5).
4. God Leads Through the Holy Spirit: Jesus promised the Spirit of truth, who will guide you into all truth (Jn 16:13a). God’s Spirit indwells believers to guide and direct us.
5. God Leads Through the Wishes of our Hearts: God is not a “cosmic killjoy.” Finding and doing the will of God brings immense joy, satisfaction, and pleasure. Psalm 37:4 promises “Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart,” meaning God actually implants his desires in our hearts.